Looking for a hearty breakfast that you can grab and go? Breakfast burritos are a perfect choice. They are yummy, filling, and easy to eat in the van.
Plus, there are so many different fillings you can add to keep them interesting: eggs, sausage, bacon bits, different kinds of cheese, hash browns, sautéed onions and peppers, mushrooms, salsa…. The variations are practically endless.
Whip up a big batch and freeze them for busy mornings.
Hearty Breakfast Burritos
Makes 24 breakfast burritos
- 24 tortillas (Normally, I make homemade tortillas because we love them so much. Homemade tortillas don’t freeze well though, so for breakfast burritos I buy tortillas.)
- 2 1/2 dozen eggs
- Shredded cheese
- Sausage, optional
- Sautéed onions, optional
- Whatever other toppings you want!
You’ll also need a big frying pan or skillet, freezer bags, and foil (if you want them individually wrapped.)
- Scramble the eggs and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry other toppings, if necessary.
- Form an assembly line with the eggs, cheese, and favorite toppings.
- Scoop a little of each one onto each tortilla.
- Fold in both ends of the tortilla, then it roll up. Wet your finger and rub it across the outer flap of the tortilla to help it stick better when you fold it.
- Individually wrap each breakfast burrito, if desired. (Normally I do about half individually wrapped. It makes it easier to pull out in the evening and stick in the fridge for Joshua if he needs to leave before I get up.)
- Store in freezer bags.
- If you know you are going to have a busy morning, pull breakfast burritos out the night before and let them thaw in the refrigerator. Otherwise, just pop them in the microwave or oven and heat till hot.
Breakfast burritos for busy mornings
Having a freezer stocked with breakfast burritos has rescued my morning so many times! Whip up a big batch and have a handy, hearty breakfast when your mornings are just too busy.