Deliciously moist and rich, these mocha muffins are a family favorite.
Like most regular American recipes, the original recipe called for a ridiculous amount of sugar. Thanks to the bananas, you can cut the sugar by more than half and still have a perfectly sweetened muffin! So that’s what I do.
Mocha Muffin Recipe
- 1 cup butter (or oil or a mixture!)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 5 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp vanilla (try making your own vanilla!)
- 1/4 cup very strong coffee
- 3 cups flour (I use 2 cups freshly ground wheat and 1 cup of white)
- 1/2 cup flax seed, ground
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/ 1/2 tsp b. soda
- 1 1/2 tsp b. powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa, optional
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional (If chocolate can be optional!)
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine butter and sugar.
- Add remaining wet ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add to wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into two greased muffin tins. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly pressed.
Slather with butter and enjoy with a homemade yogurt shake. Extras freeze really well.