“Mama, can I please have more spinach chips?” my two-year-old begged.
“Yes, but finish the rest of your food first,” I said. As I answered, I could hardly keep from chuckling. Since first trying these delicious spinach chips, “more spinach” has been a regular request at our dinner table. Spinach has become a reward for finishing the rest of their food.
I planted a whole bed of spinach, just to keep up with the demand.
We’ve made this recipe so many times, I thought it was high time to share our own favorite varieties.
Spinach (or Kale) Chips
- Fresh spinach (or kale)
- Olive oil
Our favorite flavors (optional):
- Fresh garlic & a touch of cayenne (I use about one clove per of garlic plus a teensy dash of cayenne per panful) OR
- Lemon juice & pepper (about half a squeezed lemon and a generous dash of freshly ground pepper per panful)
- Preheat oven to 325° for spinach [or 300° for kale].
- Wash spinach thoroughly and pat dry
- Toss very lightly with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt
- Add flavors, if desired, and toss thoroughly
- Spread in a single layer on pan.
- Bake for 7-12 minutes, depending on the size of your spinach. The chips should be paper thin and crisp.