Slightly-crunchy with the perfect touch of sweetness, these protein bars are one of my favorite snacks. (If I’m in a hurry they work for breakfast too!) Unlike many store-bought protein bars, they’re jam-packed with nourishing whole foods.
Since first reading about these bars a couple years ago, I’ve made them dozens of times and adapted the recipe to suit our tastes. One of the great things about this recipe is its versatility! If you don’t have, or care for, one of the ingredients there’s usually at least one way to substitute.
Nourishing Protein Bar Recipe
All measurements are approximate.
- 2 cups almonds (soaking them increases their flavor and digestibility)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup oatmeal (thanks for the idea, Mom!)
- 1//4 cup flax seed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- dash of salt, optional
- heaping 1/2 cup peanut butter
- heaping 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 T vanilla (try making your own!)
- 1 T honey
- 1/8-1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 T coconut oil
- Blend almonds, raisins, oatmeal, and flax seed in a blender until fine.
- Pour into a bowl, add the coconut flakes and salt and mix well.
- Over low heat, melt peanut butter, coconut oil, vanilla & honey in a saucepan.
- Add to “dry” ingredients and pour into an 8×8 pan.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil over low heat and spread over bars. Refrigerate, cut into delectable pieces, and enjoy!
Due to the coconut oil, these bars are best just out of the fridge.