Fall is here, and with it the delightful smells of soups, stews, and pumpkin!
This moist pumpkin spice cake is a family favorite and tastes even better a day or two after you make it. Plus, if you don’t polish it off in a day or two, it freezes well for later.
It’s not exactly healthy, but are cakes supposed to be healthy?
Recipe: Pumpkin Spice Cake
adapted from Allrecipes
- 1- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups oil (I use light olive)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (it’s so yummy fresh!)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2+ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/ 2+ tsp. allspice
- 1/2+ tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2+ tsp cloves
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 9×13 pan.
- Mix wet ingredients.
- Mix dry ingredients and add to wet. Stir until moistened.
- Pour into pan and bake 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near middle comes out clean.
- Cool and top with spiced cream cheese frosting, if desired.
Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe:
- 1 /2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- Powdered sugar
- Mix together cream cheese, butter, and spices
- Add powdered sugar to make a smooth frosting. If too thick, add a couple drops of milk.
Frosting Tip: for years I painstakingly tried (and failed) to get the frosting perfectly smooth across the top of my cakes. Instead, now I “swirl” the frosting. It looks cute and takes so much less time. 🙂