The Worst Thing That Could Happen

Deciding to paint your kiddos’ small bedroom with three little helpers hovering around you may not be the most brilliant of ideas.

But, I had to do something to keep my mind off of the fact that Joshua was out of town. Painting seemed like the perfect thing. (Plus, it was at the top of my “nesting” list.) My wonderful mom and sisters came over and helped paint our bedroom and after they left I started the kids’ room.

“Helping” is SO much fun!

Rose and Will begged to be able to “help” so I told them once I’d finished edging, they could have a turn rolling. After waiting eagerly for me to finish, they squeezed past the beds and dresser we’d crammed into the middle of the room, with Meg toddling in right behind them.

Will took a turn rolling on paint, and while I turned my back for a few moments, he refilled the roller all by himself. Paint oozed from the wall and, of course, Meg managed to get her fingers painted. I handed the roller to Rose and ran Meg to the bathroom sink.

I was in the middle of hurriedly washing turquoise paint off her fingers when I heard a plaintive call for help.

Immediately, worst case scenarios flooded my mind.

Paint running down the dresser and into all their clothes? Ruined carpet? A paint-covered child?

But the next instant another thought came to me. What really is the worst thing that could happen?

The worst thing that could happen would be me losing my tempter.

Rose’s “oh no!” face. [The sky blue in the background was one of many failed tries to get the color right.]

Sure, any of those paint scenarios would be a mini-catastrophe in my eyes, but God cares a whole lot more about my attitude than whether the paint job is perfect or my six-year-old spilled paint on the floor. My heart is even more important to Him than whether I chose the right shade of turquoise (a matter of such importance that it required four trips to Lowe’s.)

The last couple weeks have been trying. Joshua’s been working really long hours, had a horrible root canal, and then had to leave town for a week. I’ve been dealing with way more emotional meltdowns than normal and by 7:00 p.m. (when we were in the midst of painting) my patience was about as thin as parchment paper.

Thankfully, the paint catastrophe amounted to little more than a bit of paint dripped on the plastic drop cloth. The reminder was such a good one though.

So often (especially at the end of a busy day) I fail to look at life from an eternal perspective and sin in anger over things that seem terrible in the moment, but in the grand scheme of things aren’t that big a deal at all.

Linked up at Mama MomentsGrowing HomeEncourage One AnotherWalking RedeemedGrace Simplicity, & Proverbs 31

Comments

Oh, Anna, I had to smile when I started reading. Painting a room with three little ones would be an interesting experience for anyone. 🙂 I’m glad your “disaster” turned out to be nothing.
    Tell the kiddos, A’yi says they did a great job! 🙂 And you know what? They are probably going to be so pleased because they got to help paint their own room. By the way, that is a really pretty color.

I will tell them you said so. They really love it! I think getting to paint made them appreciate it all the more. 🙂

Such a great reminder! And when mommy responds to mini catastrophes in love, not only is God glorified, but fun memories are made. 🙂

I’m impressed that you undertook painted a room with three children. We’ve always done our painting when the children were occupied elsewhere. 🙂 But it looks like your children had a lot of fun.

It’s definitely a reminder I need often… thankfully this time it did turn out to be fun memories. 🙂

Yeah, it was kind of crazy but it seemed like having the house a disaster while Joshua was gone and we wanted something to keep up busy was the best route to go!

This is AWESOME! Our perspective is so skewed and you really brought the truth home here. So glad you averted “disaster” but most glad that God brought a lesson to your heart that you chose to share here. Love ya!

Thanks Kasey! Yes, I admit I was quite relieved at the lack of disaster, but was even more grateful for the lesson…something I’d been needing and praying about for a while before then!

4. Martha says

Couldn’t agree more. I try to keep my “what’s the worst that could happen??” goggles on all. the. time. – they go with my “is it really a big deal?” cap. It really helps me mellow out when the baby blows out her diaper right before we leave to go someplace we’re already late to, or the dog spills water on a floor I just mopped or…anything else that is regular occurrence in my life.
    Thanks for the great reminder!

What great perspective Marti… especially since the chances of a blow-out right before leaving or having the floor covered in mud an hour after you scrubbed it seem so high. Even though they happen so regularly, it’s easy for me to make them a big deal, when really they’re not!

Found you through Walking Redeemed’s link up. What a good idea – I don’t think that thought ever goes through my mind when things like this happen. I think maybe I just don’t think at all. I just react. Thank you for the reminder! Happy to be a new follower.

So glad to have you here! It was a really timely reminder for me too…. I’d been noticing a 7:00 p.m. patience breakdown on my part and God was so gracious to remind me of what’s really important!

6. Tara says

Thank you for a wonderful reminder about modeling to our children. Have a blessed day. Stopping by from Encourage One Another. Tara (The Proverbs 31 Sanctuary)