Honey & Garlic: Simple Cold Fighters

Fall is fully here. We had our first frost Friday evening. The changing weather ushers in soups, hot chocolate, and cozy pajamas, but also the dreaded cold season.

We succumbed to the flu a few weeks ago, and I am determined to be diligent about fighting cold and flu germs before they gain footing.

Important note: don’t give this remedy, or any remedy containing honey, to babies under one, since honey poses the threat of infant botulism.

Twice already I’ve begun to feel a cold beginning to attack and successfully fought it with a few simple ingredients: minced raw garlic and honey, followed by a nice mug of herbal tea.

Garlic is a treasure mine of natural, germ-fighting, immune-boosting properties. Plus, it’s inexpensive and a staple in many kitchens. And don’t worry, it doesn’t taste nearly as bad as it sounds!

To make: finely mince a clove of garlic. Get a spoonful of honey (preferably raw) and stir the minced garlic into the honey, making sure to coat the garlic with honey. Down the garlic and honey with a big glass of water. (Don’t chew!)

The spoonful of honey most definitely helps the garlic go down. My kids actually like it.

Then make yourself a nice mug of tea. I like elderberries because they’re another great immune booster or peppermint to get rid of any trace of garlic. Or best of all, mixing both.

A humorous caution, from my sis-in-law Amber:

“One winter I got a little carried away though and used the remedy every morning just to keep myself from getting sick. I can remember my papa returning to the truck one wintry day after pumping gas and saying very sweetly “You’ve gotta lay off the garlic, Amber!” Apparently, I was starting to smell like my remedy!!

Word to the wise: Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing!”

What are your favorite immune boosters?

Linked up at Living Green, Healthy 2DayFrugal Days, Sustainable WaysNatural Living, & Simple Lives

[Full disclosure: Links to products in this post are my referral links.]

Comments

What a great idea, Anna! This looks both simple and effective. Our family likes to make tea with honey and lemon juice, which also helps for colds and sore throats. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, I just love that remedy Brooke! I still remember the first time we used it when Rose was little. She had been coughing non-stop and after the first sip stopped coughing and went to sleep. That sold me! 🙂

Thanks so much for sharing!

We are definitely going to try this! A couple things I do for prevention is to use Theives Essential Oil by Young Living. Whenever there is the first sneeze or just when we get home from church 🙂 I rub a few drops on the kids chest, stomach, and soles of their feet. And I make the kids eat a few raw baby carrots everyday. They are high in vitamin C and A. We had a great flu season last winter! I can only remeber one time we were sick. Praise God! 🙂 I love all your posts about health and home remedies, keep them coming!

Awww, thanks for the encouragement Brooke! I’m trying to get back into posting a healthy living-themed post each Tuesday but we’ll see how it goes. 🙂

It seems like I keep hearing about how wonderful the Thieves Essential Oil is. Where do you get it from?

3. Amber says

I have to say that this really does work!

Word to the wise: Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing! :).

Thieves oil is great. We’ve been using it and if you like the smell of cloves (I love it) you should enjoy the smell. 🙂 If you want to know more about it just talk to Mom or Abigail Covington.

Yeah Amber, too much garlic in any form soon leaves its mark or I should say, smell. 🙂

5. Jenny says

I love this ~ it’s what we use! We knocked out my husband’s near-cold before it could realy take hold, and shortened my son’s which was already full force. Great remedy!

I just watched a video the other day where they used onion and honey. She also said you could use both garlic and honey. I made one with sugar and onion, which is yet another options.

I also use Thieves, I purchase it from a local seller. The name of the company is Young Living Essential Oils, my Facebook friend Carrie sells them, here is the link to her site, not an affiliate link. Be aware that while it is pricy, first it is worth it, and second it lasts a long time.

I love using natural remedies to beat things like colds! It makes me bonkers to see all the cold & flu medicine in the stores and even big box stores, so I am glad you are sharing this and hope someone learns for it!

And thank you so much for linking up with Healthy 2day Wednesdays! Hope you have a blessed week and hope you’ll be linking up this week! I also wanted to let you know we are looking for another person to co-host H2W’s with us if you are interested! 🙂

8. Tricia says

THANK YOU so much for this method!! I have been struggling all week with ways to get raw garlic down as an antibiotic for my newly developed perioral dermatitis. Tried everything from super strong garlic hummus to chomping and throwing back a clove (yikes!)…. This was SOOO much easier!!