Whole Wheat Tortilla Recipe

Homemade tortillas were on our eat-from-the-pantry menu and Chris (from Joybilee Farms) asked if I’d share the recipe. Before doing so, I simply had to weigh in on the should-you-make-your-own-tortillas debate.

As you can see, it’s worth it for me.

Now, it’s time for the recipe.

My happy helpers. Will rinsed the beans for half an hour and had SO much fun! (And no, they’re not always quite so happy!)

Whole Wheat Tortilla Recipe

Makes about 10 tortillas

Ingredients:

• 2 cups flour (can use any combination of white or wheat flour.)
  • 1/4 cup butter (or coconut oil, lard, etc.)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • up to 3/4 cup water, very warm (the dough should be moist but not “soggy” unless you’re  using a heated tortilla press. Then it needs to be very moist.)

Instructions:

• Mix flour and salt in large bowl
  • Cut in butter (or oil)

• Add warm water and stir. Dough should be nice and moist. (At this point, you can let sit for up to 4 hours, covered, if desired.)

• Heat frying pan over medium-high heat.
  • Divide dough into 8-12 balls.

• Roll thin on floured surface.
  • Bake tortillas for 30-45 seconds on each side or until just barely golden.
  • Stuff with desired toppings and serve warm. Or, bake til extra crunchy for a yummy snack for the little helpers. Unused tortillas keep for a couple days on the counter or in the fridge.

*Three years ago, my in-laws gave me a tortilla press for Christmas. Though I made my own before then, the tortilla press has made it SO much faster. If you love the taste of homemade tortillas, it makes for a very fun and practical gift.

What about you? Do you make your own tortillas?

Linked up at Tasty Tuesday, Living Green, Healthy 2Day WednesdaysFrugal Days, Sustainable WaysNatural Living Link UpSimple Lives ThursdayHearth and Soul, Feasting in Fellowship, 21st Century Housewives & Grocery Cart Challenge

Comments

Thanks for sharing your recipe. They sound yummy. How do you use a tortilla press? I’ve always rolled mine by hand. The press sounds intriguing.

I shared it on FB,too.

Thanks so much, Chris. <3 It makes it really easy. Just roll the dough in a circle and place in the tortilla press. Press shut and it bakes it for you.

2. Brianna D. says

I also LOVE homemade tortillas! The only drawback for me is the time. It takes me 1/2 hour to roll out and cook about 15 tortillas. Is that normal or am I really slow?
    My mother-in-law lent me her tortilla press, and I tried it but the tortillas did not turn out the same – not as soft, and had less of that yummy home-made taste. Do your tortillas turn out the same with the press?

It took me a while to get the hang of using it… the dough has to be extra moist when you use the press. I ruined a few batches, but after getting the hang of it they taste just as good.

That doesn’t sound super slow to me when you’re rolling them out. When I was rolling them out by hand, I found that shaping them all into balls before I started to roll any of them out helped. While the first tortillas baked, I’d finish rolling the rest out and let them sit on the counter. Rolling took less time than baking so I would get the rest of the meal prepped while flipping tortillas. (Um, not sure if that makes sense, even to me!)

Mine do too and it was so fun to get something practical. This is the brand I got, but I’m not sure where they’re sold now. That’s obviously not the price they paid! VillaWare Tortilla Maker” target=”_blank”>

Cute picture. 🙂 Looks and sounds yummy. I think you are going to have to make a place for your recipes so we can find them later. 🙂

Thanks Bekah! I’m thinking I need to do some major blog reformatting…which would include better access to recipes. 🙂

4. Laura @ Laura Williams' Musings says

I make them but I can’t quite roll them right. They come out lopsided every time.

My tortillas haven’t yet turned out quite right, but I’ll give your recipe a try. I have a tortilla press and really want to make them just for the fun of it. Plus, money savings aside, I love to make as much from scratch as I can since then I know exactly what is going into it! Thanks, Anna, for the inspiration to give it another go!

The trick for a tortilla press (at least the one I use) is to make sure the dough is moist enough. I bet your children would love helping press them—it’s really fun!

We have been making these for about a year now…and LOVE them homemade. I really enjoy serving them to my family as I know where they came from!

I was reading in a campfire cast iron cookbook (hubby’s favorite), that in a pinch, use a clear dinner plate (don’t have to be clear but for the purpose it’s cool). Make the ball of dough, and smush it down with the dinner plate and watch it flatten out under clear plates. 🙂 Hubby was amused..and I like his enthusaism for smushing tortillas.

Have you tried your homemade tortillas in a tortilla bowl? They have pans you can put em in to make bowls with the wavy fluted edges and fill with your favorite stuff. We’re a hispanic household (hubby is Cuban) and love tortillas and flatbreads. 🙂

8. evasha says

hi i have a electric tortilla press but i do not like using it as the tortilla turn out too thick and dry, i would like to use it just as a press only how does the dough need to be when using as a press only, also how many cups of water should i add to three cups of flour if i am using the press only not heated press.

9. Emily says

Thank you for a delicious recipe. My whole family thoroughly enjoyed them. And now I know why my recent whole wheat tortilla attempts failed on the press- they weren’t moist enough!