Holding the Future in Open Hands

“Mama, I have an idea,” Rose told me the other day. “Why don’t we pack tomorrow, not tell anyone and we can surprise Grandma and Nonnie and move? Isn’t that a good idea?”

If only she knew all that was involved with making a cross-country move!

We moved down South almost four years ago for Joshua to attend law school. The years here have been wonderful for our little family, but the time to decide the next step has arrived.

When we moved Rose was barely walking. Now her little sis pulls herself up…and gets into all sorts of mischief!

We’re looking at the possibility of moving back “home.” Dear friends, a wonderful church, and the beauty of the South (especially in the spring) make the thought of leaving bittersweet.

On the other hand, being near all our family, longtime friends and old church again would be absolutely wonderful!

The more I think about one possibility (moving to the Midwest or staying in the South), the more excited I get about it. I’m excited about being settled, about putting permanent roots down, about a kitchen with enough room for the kids to sit on chairs around the table.

Will and Rose on an “airplane” ride

But as the anticipation has grown and the waiting game continues, I’ve been reminded again and again to hold dreams of the future in open hands.

God holds the future in His wise hands. Don’t hold dreams of the future in clenched fists. Instead rejoice in today and trust in God’s wise leading tomorrow.

Linked up at Hearts 4 Home ThursdaysProverbs 31 Thursday & Finer Things Friday

Comments

I love those pictures, Anna! The kiddos have all gotten so big since I saw them last. Looks like that “airplane” ride is quite an exciting event. 🙂

I had to smile when I read Rose’s idea. 😀 I’d so love to have you all move back closer, but I too have to hold the future in open hands trusting that His perfect plan is best and that He will show you and me the path of life. As I’ve been reminding a friend who just had major surgery yesterday, go one day at a time. <3 U!

Oh yes, their trips are always rather exciting.

Thanks Bekah, dear! I am so excited to see what the future holds, but am *learning* just to trust and enjoy the present.

Wow, I’ve never really thought of it like that. Not having my future dreams in clenched hands but being willing to have an open heart and be led by the Lord. Thank you for that revelation for me.

Blessings,
    Nicole at Working Kansas Homemaker

The word picture was from a book by Amy Carmichael that I read years ago called “Mimosa.” In it, the young Indian Christian women prayed to God with their hands held up, empty. The image has stuck in my mind ever since. It is such a beautiful reminder of how we should hold ourselves, our stuff and our future!

Great post Anna! That is very wise. We have been married almost 14 years and have moved 10 times. College. Army. Starting a business. Seminary. Internship. Pastoring. More Seminary. We could not have imagined this path that we have taken! But it has been such a huge blessing. We’ve enjoyed each place we’ve lived and made many wonderful friends. Sure it would have been nice to be in one spot and put down some roots, but this is what God had for us and it has been great! We’ve had many surprises over the years as we have planned each move. Our prayer has always been for God to make things clear and obvious. We’ve asked for Him to close doors if He did not want us to go through them. He has done just that! You can’t go wrong praying like that :0) I’ll pray for you guys as you try to discern His will for you in the coming years. Love, Brandy

10 moves? Wow Brandy. I can’t imagine. But you’re so right, God’s ways always prove SO much better than mine, even though sometimes it takes me a long time to see that.

Thanks so much for your encouragement, Brandy. Hugs!!!

Thank you for this reminder, Anna. Sometimes I’m afraid to entrust my future to God and I’m not sure why. My own plans seem so good, but God is so much bigger and has many more wonderful ideas for our future than I could ever dream!

On a related note, I thought Missouri WAS the South! 😉

I’m with you Jenn! God has proved Himself so faithful to us. His plans have always turned out WAY better than mine. I don’t know why I still struggle… actually, I do. Drat the old sin nature and praise GOD for His grace. 🙂

Oh, and no one is willing to claim Missouri, it seems. In the South, it’s considered the North and vice versa. Haha!

• says

Ha! Yeah, since the Missouri State Seal went to Texas during the war, but we didn’t “join the confederacy and secede” I guess most people don’t know where to put us. Are we “Yankees” or “Confederates”? 😀 We’ll claim either or both. 🙂

Thanks for sharing. Amber and I would LOVE to have you move back to the area… I am looking forward to hearing the results of the interview Josh had.

Loved seeing photos of the kids! You should post photos more often, and if possible, post larger photos.

I’ll try Erik, at least on posting more. I’m not sure how to post bigger pictures without slowing down the site.