“Wilt Thou, Dear Princess Anna, be My Wife?” (Our Old-Fashioned Love Story)

Just joining me? Read the first parts here: Meeting My Man“Keep Thy Heart”A Flower Girl’s Prediction/ The Answer to My Prayers

The blissful days flew by. Then one day Joshua handed me a lovely copy of Shakespeare’s Sonnets and asked if I wanted to go down to our special spot by the creek and read poetry together.

How could a girl refuse that invitation?

We walked down to the creek together. I sat on a log that had fallen over the creek while Josh sat across from me and read lover’s classics like Sonnet 116, “Let me not to the marriage of true minds/ Admit impediments…”

Then Joshua handed me the collection and said, “Will you read Sonnet 79?”

Sonnet 79? I racked my brain trying to remember what it was about. I turned to it and started reading but could scarcely keep going. Each line described our relationship so beautifully. I couldn’t believe it. It was as if Shakespeare had written it just for us.

I kept pausing in wonder, but Joshua urged me on. Not until I reached the final couplet…

“That I may love thee long as I have life,

Wilt thou, dear princess Anna, be my wife?”

…did the truth dawn on me. By then, Joshua was on his knee with a ring, waiting for my answer. Though dazed (and trying to figure out how on earth he’d gotten his poem published in a collection of Shakespeare), I managed to reply, “of course!”

He slipped the ring on my finger.

Later I learned the details*  but for the moment, I simply enjoyed the fact that my life and his would be forever intertwined in marriage.

*Joshua designed the ring just for me (after deciding that making it himself –as that involved experimenting with gold– was not wise.) He found matching fonts and “imposed” his poem on Shakespeare’s collection. (In case you’re wondering, after reading the real Sonnet 79, my totally unbiased opinion is that Joshua’s is way better!)

Comments

WHAT a sweet story. Aaw I just read through your love story, what a beautiful picture of how this process should be! Thank you for being such a sweet example! 🙂

2. LMC says

As someone who met my husband via a work friendship, I’ve never been able to imagine how courtship works. Thank you so much for your absolutely beautiful courtship story! It is a real blessing to me to know how things can be different from the dating game grind.

–LMC

We were so blessed that God worked out each detail so perfectly! I’m glad we were spared the dating game, but it is so exciting to see how God writes each story so differently. He *is* the Master-Storyteller!

I just read through every post in this series, my smile getting bigger and bigger the whole time. Your story is beautiful, adorable, romantic, and like mine in some ways!

Like you, I didn’t want to date unless it was going to lead to marriage. I “liked” a few guys in high school, but none of them showed any interest in me. Then I went to college, and on the first day met MY Joshua! 🙂 We dated for six months, were engaged for 15, and have been married for just over 20 months. 🙂 Our parents were involved in our relationship as much as possible, considering that mine live 11 hours away from where we go to college. But his are just 20 minutes away, and that has been such a blessing.

Thank you for sharing your incredibly beautiful story! 🙂

Awww! What a sweet story… and yay for wonderful Joshuas. 🙂 Thanks so much for taking the time to read the story and comment. <3

4. Rakul says

What a beautiful story! I’m almost in tears after reading your entire love story! 🙂

I’m really glad that it ended like it did! Of course I know by now 😉 but it is really great to see how God worked in your lives!

5. Elissa says

Very sweet! In my personal opinion, engagements in springtime by creeks are the best. Fun to find things in common 🙂 Clay and I just got back from horseback riding around the farm to celebrate our spring-creek-horseback-riding engagement (a week late).

How fun! So we were just a week or two behind on both the engagement and wedding, right? 🙂 Now I want to hear your story!