Assemble an Herbal Remedy Closet: March’s Additions

Thankfully, I’ve had to “play nurse” much less often this month than last. Maybe, just maybe, we’re nearing the end of cold season…

And allergy season. Oh my! For a couple week, the whole outdoors were covered in a thick dusting of green from all the pollen. During that time, we barely took three breaths outside before the kids started coughing again. A few good rains cleared up the dust (outside at least) and all cold symptoms have vanished.

My challenge in 2012 is to build and maintain a “medicine chest” of herbs that will help fight the illnesses my family commonly faces on a budget of $20 a month. It’s the last Tuesday of March and time for an update.

January: $16.73
February: $10.22
Total to date: $26.95

March Purchases

Bentonite Clay- $12.70

The Bulk Herb Store is running a sale on Bentonite Clay through the end of the month (enter code MARBCP to get 1/2 pound for $3.15!) My mom and I placed a huge order together to save on shipping.

Why on earth am I ordering clay?!

About a year ago, our area was hit with a terrible tornado. Houses around us were leveled. At one point, you could hardly see across the street because of all the dust and dirt thrown into the air from the destruction (and subsequent construction.)

Since then, colds and coughs seem to have lingered much longer. My guess is there is probably lots of icky stuff still floating around in the air. It’s time for a cleanse.

That’s were bentonite clay comes in. Bentonite clay’s “greatest power lies in its ability to absorb toxins, impurities, heavy metals and other internal contaminants…” (Continue reading here)

You can apply it topically, make it into a bath (just don’t let the clay go down the drain) and even take this brand internally.

(Other sales at The Bulk Herb Store through Saturday include 1/2 pound Fennel Seed for $4.97 with code MARWFS, 1/2 pound Turmeric for $4.97 with code MARTRP, Horsetail Shavegrass for $5.95 with code MARHSH, Beautiful Hair Treatments for $10.47 with code MARBHT and Chamomile flowers for $8.33 with code MARWCF)

Elderberries- $1.98

The Bulk Herb Store was out of elderberries, so I picked some up from the local health food store. Elderberries are amazing, tasty, cold fighters. They help ease inflammation and sooth pain while inhibiting the flu virus from penetrating the cell.

Jill’s Home Remedies has a great video tutorial for making your own elderberry cough syrup that you can store in the fridge for up to six months!

Herb seeds- $4.25

I’ve never had an herb garden before, but am so excited about attempting one this year. The Herbal Drugstore lists five easy to grow herbs (Calendula/marigold, Chamomille, Peppermint, Lemon Balm & Sage) that I plan to grow as well as basil and echinacea.

If you’re looking for a good source for non-gentically modified heirloom seeds I highly recommend Baker Creek Seeds. Their prices are amazing and they have wonderful customer service. I purchased Lemon Balm and Basil from them.

Some herbs I’m waiting to buy as plants and the rest were from the clearance rack at our local seed store. I’m not 100% sure the clearanced seeds will grow, but for 20 cents a packet decided to give them a try. :)

What about you? Are you growing any herbs this year? Did you add anything to your herbal remedy closet?

Linked up at Healthy 2Day WednesdaysFrugal Days, Sustainable Ways & Natural Living Link Up

(Full disclosure: links to some products in this post are my referral links.)

Comments

Bentonite clay…I’ve heard of it! And from your description it sounds like something I want to have around! Thanks, Anna!

Sounds like your stocking up. :) Hope your garden does well. We had Lemon Balm for years and let me give you a hint: It likes to spread everywhere! :) Have fun!

I love reading about your growing herbal medicine cabinet! I love having Bentonite clay around too. This year DH and I are growing a good handful of herbs: Echinacea, Chamomile, Yarrow, Lavender, Lemon Balm, Peppermint, Rosemary, Aloe, Catnip, Calendula…plus a bunch more for both culinary and medicinal use! I am so excited and can’t wait to harvest/use them! I hope yours do well! :)
    p.s. Bekah is right…lemon balm will invite itself to all parts of your garden! I keep mine in a large container!

Thanks! It’s so fun to do a “show and tell” each month.

Wow! That’s a lot. We’re moving in August, so I’m trying not to be too ambitious, but am so excited. (Oh, and I think I’ll get a pot for the lemon balm and mint too!)

I’ve never heard about Bentonite Clay either – it sounds like something I would find useful.

I third Bekah on the lemon balm – the previous owners of our house grew it in one of the garden plots, and though I dug up as much of it as I could, it is still popping up everywhere this spring, and there are lots of roots throughout the garden too. Mint will do the same thing. I am starting some basil in my basement right now (from Baker Creek seeds too!) and plan on direct sowing some calendula soon. Too bad we don’t all live closer together, or we could each start an herb and swap!

An herbal swap? That would be SO fun!

Well, after three “witnesses” have testified to lemon balm’s crazy growth, I think I’l get a big pot. Plus, then I can take it with us when we move in August. :)

Growing herbs is pretty fun. Well, I assume it is! Growing other stuff has always been fun, and herbs are “ready” faster so it’s much more action packed haha.

We love using elderberry and I really believe in its effectiveness.–I honestly think that’s what’s kept us from sickness these past few years. We’ve only had really bad colds a couple of times and it’s when we have run out or forget to take our elderberry–go figure!

What a great testimony Jenn. I just love how God put healing in such humble little herbs/berries… especially ones that taste so yummy. :)