Esau sold his birthright for a pot of lentils! (Gen 25) I’ve yet to come across a lentil recipe that is that good.
We do like this lentil dish though. It’s tasty, nourishing, and frugal.
The most important thing about this recipe is to make sure you bake it fully. If the lentils are not fully cooked, it doesn’t taste nearly as good. Baking it takes a couple hours, but you can speed up the process by cooking it. I like to make it on bread-making days when the oven is already on.
Savory Lentil Rice Casserole
- 3 cups beef, chicken, or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- dash of Worchestershire sauce, optional
- salt to taste (how much depends on whether or not broth was salted!)
- cheddar cheese, optional
- Rinse lentils and rice thoroughly and drain.
- Place in 8×8 pan and add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and bake at 300 for 2-2 1/2 hours or until very tender OR to speed it up, cook on the stove for 30-45 minutes and then just bake for 15 minutes to get the nice baked texture.