“Use what you have” is one of the mantras of frugal living. It applies to most areas of the home: clothes, food, toys, curriculum. “Shop” your own supply before running to the store.
A friend of ours runs a Farmers’s Market and (thanks to my crazy-can’t-pass-up-an-amazing-deal self) what we have on hand is a large box of sweet potatoes.
They were dirt cheap and I just couldn’t pass them up. Once we got home, I realized what I’d done: bought a bushel of sweet potatoes in the Spring. What on earth to do with them?
First? Ask dear friends on Facebook for ideas.
Following their suggestions, this is how we’ve used up our box of sweet potatoes. So far, every recipe has been a big hit!
- Peeled and cooked a huge pot of sweet potatoes. Tossed in the blender. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and put globs of sweet potato on. Freeze til solid then put in a airtight container. (Thanks Caroline and Megan!)
- Once sweet potato dishes are back in season, have it on hand already! (Thanks Jacinda!)
- Make sweet potato fries. They were a huge hit and such a nice non-Fall thing to do with them. (Thanks Heather!)
- Grill sweet potato. (Thanks Pinterest!)
- Use the mashed sweet potato for a cheap, healthy baby food. (Thanks Mama!)
- Use it instead of pumpkin in “pumpkin” muffins or bread (You can hardly tell a difference!)
- Make baked sweet potatoes (Thanks Keieah!)
I still have a few sweet potatoes left. Any other ideas?
Join Jenn (from The Purposeful Mom) and me for our weekly Thrifty Thursday Blog Hop!
Posts about living frugally, thrifty tips and tricks, money-saving DIY projects, frugal recipes, and encouraging posts on financial stewardship are all welcome. Link up to either of our blogs–your post will be displayed in both places.
Jenn and I will each be sharing frugal tips of our own, so be sure to check out both of our blogs each Thursday for lots of money-saving ideas.
Rules for this blog hop:
- Please link directly to your post and not to the main page of your blog.
- Please share thrifty-themed giveaways in the comments in lieu of linking it up to the bloghop. This keeps any links from becoming dated.
- Please add the Thrifty Thursday Blog Hop button (grab the code from my sidebar) to your post or link back here so others can join in the fun!
- We’d love it if you would encourage others by checking out some of the fantastic links.