11 Healthy Snacks for Busy Days

When it comes to preparing healthy foods, snacks food rank among the most challenging for me. I don’t mind spending time in the kitchen to fry eggs for breakfast or make a healthy dinner, but snacks should be fast, right?

Graham crackers topped with peanut butter and chocolate chips or a tube of Pringles are yummy treats on occasion. On a daily basis I want to serve my kids snacks that curb their appetite as well as nurture their growing bodies.

These are some of my favorite healthy snacks. Each snack only takes a few minutes to prepare or can be made in large batches and stored for busy days.

1. Fresh veggies dipped in hummus, vegetable dip or guacamole dip. To make it easier, wash, peel and cut up several portions of vegetables at a time. Spray carrots with a bit of water to keep crunchy and store veggies in airtight containers/bags in the fridge.
  2. (Non-microwave) Popcorn. Popped in coconut oil/butter and seasoned with sea salt and kelp, popcorn is one of my kid’s favorite snacks. We don’t have a microwave and pop our corn in a Stir Crazy, but you can also make it in a pot on the stove.
  3. Nourishing Energy Bites. These tasty treats are packed with healthy ingredients and store great. Pull them out of the freezer for a quick snack.
  4. Fresh fruit
  5. Peanut butter with apples or celery. Want to get really adventurous? Make your own peanut butter!
  6. Homemade trail mix. Mix up nuts (preferably raw), raisins, craisins, coconut chips and/or dried banana chips and store in an airtight container for a quick snack.
  7. Deviled eggs

1. Mini muffins. Make up a large batch of muffins for breakfast and freeze the rest. Thaw for a quick snack. (These Whole Wheat Applesauce Muffins and Whole Wheat Pumpkin (or Sweet Potato!) Muffins freeze incredibly well.)
  2. Nourishing Protein Bars. These bars are protein packed and so delicious. I think they’re as good as cookies, but made from healthy, whole foods. Will and I gobble them up!  (Joshua and Rose aren’t quite as big fans.)
  3. Homemade yogurt. Top with granola, make savory raita, freeze as popsicles or just eat plain.
  4. Crackers and cheese. (We love these homemade crackers, but homemade are bit too much work for busy days!)

What about you? What are your favorite healthy snacks?

Comments

Mmm! I’m going to try to make the nourishing energy bites for tomorrow. My mom and I are planning on taking a nice long walk with baby in tow and I bet they will taste great when we get back! All wonderful suggestions. I’ve been doing fruit and yogurt smoothies a lot lately too.

Yum! Now that it’s warming up, I need to start making smoothies more. Thanks for the motivation.

Hope you like the Energy Bites as much as we do. 🙂

Great ideas. Here’s a summer idea. Freeze grapes and then pull them out for a delicious, cool summer snack. We’ve also frozen different juices in ice cube trays and then made slushies from them. (Watermelon juice doesn’t work. 😛 ) So many ideas for quick snacks and now I’m getting hungry. 😉

Yum! I love the grape idea…. actually, I froze some last summer when they were nice and cheap and just remembered them a few weeks ago. The kids loved getting grapes in the winter since I rarely buy them out of season. 🙂

I want to make these energy bites soon since we can freeze them! They do sound great. One thing I will try is soaking the oats to remove the phytic acid…we have digestive challenges holding over from candida in one of our children. I just soak the oats (rolled) for 6-8 hrs and then press them while in the bowl to remove excess water and put them on parchment paper and into the oven when I’m almost finished with baking something…turn the heat down to 170-200 and bake slowly until almost dry. I would use them the same way. I doubt they will effect the recipe much. Thanks, Anna 🙂

I’ve wondered if soaking the oats would work. Fascinating! Thanks so much for the “how-to” Jacqueline!

I made them today and my mom, husband, and I really enjoyed them! Especially my peanut butter-loving husband! Snack time will be delicious again tomorrow 🙂

Very good ideas. I’m going to try the nourishing bites, protein bars, and sweet potato muffins. Thanks so much for sharing these! Found you from Little Natural Cottage.