Lessons Learned from Our Little House

When we first moved into our small home for Joshua to start law school, I felt cramped and could hardly wait to move to a bigger place.

Little did I think that when we finally did plan to move (two more children and four year later) that those plans would be tinged with a touch of sadness. This little home is full of fun memories and life lessons.

Lessons Learned from Our Small Home

Lessons Learned  I am Learning from Our Little Home

1. God gives grace for each day. Looking back, I don’t know how I would have handled knowing we’d live here for four years. Probably not very well. But God gives grace for each day, not the next four years!
  2. Perspective is vital. One day (when I happened to be wishing for a bigger home) my then three-year-old daughter came up to me and said, “I love our house. Don’t you? It’s SO big!” Compared to many in the world, our home is big. Compared to what we need, our home is big. Learning to see it that way, makes it feel much bigger.
  3. Look for ways to make what you have work. The kitchen was the tightest spot. We could barely squeeze a table and three chairs into the corner. But when our first year lease expired and we decided to stay another year, we had to get creative. We removed an unnecessary portable dishwasher and pushed the table against the wall. Joshua added two rows of shelves. Now, even with three children in the kitchen instead of one, it feels bigger and works.
  4. Wherever you are, someone else would gladly trade.  Recently, Josh and I had an acquaintance over for lunch. After looking around the kitchen he said, “Oh! I sure love this kitchen. I hope that next year I can afford to move into a similar home.”
  5. Short-term sacrifice pays off. The temptation to move was strong, but we had a goal in mind: keep student loans as low as possible and pay them off quickly! We don’t know what the future holds, but can follow wherever God leads without the burden of student loans thanks to living in this little home.
  6. Embrace where God has you today. While dreaming of the future is fun, God placed us here, in the present, for a purpose. “Be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Heb. 13:5) Whether in a mansion or college apartment, God has promised to not leave His children. That’s reason enough to embrace where He has us!

What about you? Do you (or did you) live in a small place? What lessons did you learn through it?

——————————

Join Jenn (from The Purposeful Mom) and me for our weekly Thrifty Thursday Blog Hop!

Posts about living frugally, thrifty tips and tricks, money-saving DIY projects, frugal recipes, and encouraging posts on financial stewardship are all welcome. Link up to either of our blogs–your post will be displayed in both places.

Jenn and I will each be sharing frugal tips of our own, so be sure to check out both of our blogs each Thursday for lots of money-saving ideas.

Rules for this blog hop:

• Please link directly to your post and not to the main page of your blog.
  • Please share thrifty-themed giveaways in the comments in lieu of linking it up to the bloghop. This keeps any links from becoming dated.
  • Please add the Thrifty Thursday Blog Hop button (from the sidebar) to your post or link back here so others can join in the fun!
  • We’d love it if you would encourage others by checking out some of the fantastic links.

Linked up at Hearts 4 Home Thursdays & Proverbs 31 Thursday, Consider the Lilies, Homemaking Link-up and Finer Things Friday

Comments

1. Kimberly S. says

Ironically, I learned more lessons from living in a very large house. We moved from a two bedroom apt, where the table sat on the side of the living room, to a 9,200 sq ft home on ten acres. We moved there for ministry purposes, but it ended up never being more than my husband, our baby, one other girl and myself living there. The house was perfect to house a number of people…not so perfect to house four. After spending seven hours mowing the lawn (with a zero-turn riding mower) and an hour just sweeping the basement, I decided never again did I want to live in an over sized space.

I cannot say how thrilled I was to move into the upstairs of a house split into to apts, where we are now living. Yes, we share the yard and that stinks…but we don’t have to mow it! Yes, the half bath in the master bedroom is literally one quarter the size of our master *shower* in the other house…but I don’t have six bathrooms to keep clean. Yes, there are about 1/3 the kitchen cabinets…but it is enough for us.

We were living entirely in the master bedroom and kitchen while the rest of the house sat empty. While that was plenty of space, it is SO nice to have a separate office and even a comfortable living room now! I always thought I wanted a large home. Now I realize that I actually just want the right size for us home, with just a little extra space for guests and for our family to grow. And I am so thankful to have exactly that right now.

Thanks so much for sharing Kimberly! It’s so wonderful to see another perspective and realize that we really need to rejoice *right* where God has us. The grass may look greener in a bigger yard, but as you said, then we’d have to mow it! :)

Funny you should post on this today, Anna. Mom and I were just talking about needing to go through some things and get rid of some stuff to make everything fit since we don’t have room to keep it all. :) Our house is “large” when compared to some places, but with four adults who have lived there for 24 years, you start to accumulate things. :) (I’m really a “keep-all-I-might-use-it-some-day” person) I was just starting to half wish we had more room. Thanks for the timely reminder to be content with where I am. :D
    Now, I do need to get rid of some things . . .

How fun! :)

I should have added “You learn to enjoy living with less.” to my list! When I start to feel crowded, just going through the house and getting rid of stuff makes such a big difference!

3. Del says

Hello Anna! This is my first time visiting your blog and I loved this post (and your blog, just looking around :) I have been married for almost three years and we spent our first year of marriage living in a studio apartment that was one full room (open plan kitchen and living room/bedroom) and a small bathroom with a shower – with my two small children. It was CRAZY, lol. We learned a lot though. How to make the most of the space we had, furnishing and using furniture to divide the space and how to have a bit of personal space and definitely giving one another grace. When we finally moved, it was into a 2 bedroom apartment and that’s our living situation now and I am very content and happy about it. I love living in a smaller space, it feels easier to keep clean, forces us not to buy unnecessary things and has just enough space for me and my family and a few guests. My husband is in school right now and we have debts to pay off, so we are definitely not trying to take on more than we can right now. One day, I would love to live in an actual house – but never a very big house :)

Awwww… Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

Wow—compared to one room, our house is quite big. I love the way you creatively made it work for your family!

The longer we’ve lived in a small home, the more I like it. Like you said, you’re forced to simplify… and don’t have nearly as much to clean!

We lived in a one bedroom apartment for the first couple years. We ended up having both our boys during those years. It was tight. But learning to thrive where God has you is the key to a joy-filled life. Always wishing for something else accomplishes nothing. And as you said…God uses those situations to cause us to turn to Him and rely on His grace and strength.

Amen! If I’m not content right where God has me, who’s to say I would be anywhere else, even if it were lots bigger.

I love the way you worded number 1: “But God gives grace for each day, not the next four years!” So very true! Wonderful lessons he had for you while you were busy making happy memories in your little home! :) May this next season of life be every bit as blessed! {I linked a relatively old pot when I realized that I had no others that we budget related! Obviously, I really need this Thrifty Thursday thing!}

Awww, thank you! I’m so excited to see what God has in store for us.

And thanks so much for linking up! I love that post! It’s so easy to think a tight budget means we can’t minister to others. It may change how exactly we minister, but there are always opportunities–makes me think of Betsie ten Boom. :)