Looking for a snack that is easy, healthy, filling and delicious? And much cheaper than packaged snacks?
These energy bites fit the bill. They are filled with healthy, satisfying ingredients and are one of my favorite whole-food snacks.
I was inspired by Food Doodles All-Natural, No-Bake Energy Bites, but what fun is cooking if you don’t change the recipe?
Energy Bites Recipe:
(Part of the fun of this recipe is just how easily you can change ingredients! We don’t like ours overwhelmingly sweet and I added coconut oil make it more filling. )
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey, preferably raw
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 T chia seeds (these are optional. I only recently started adding them, but think it helps give them a lovely added energy boost!)
- dash of salt
- ~2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- ~1/2 cup chocolate chips, raisins or other add-ins (optional)
(Update 2015: recently I’ve started adding a few tablespoons of this amazing date syrup in place of part of the honey and love the depth of flavor it gives.)
- Cream peanut butter, oil and honey
- Add coconut, flaxseed, chia seeds, and salt
- Add chocolate chips and enough oatmeal to make a nice, moist cookie dough texture
- Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes or until you can easily shape. Roll into balls.
- Freeze or refrigerate.
Keep them on hand for a satisfying snack or quick breakfast!
(Full Disclosure: Links to products in this post are my referral links)