Learning to Love Hated Chores

Few homemakers naturally love every aspect of keeping a house.  I love doing laundry and organizing the fridge. Cleaning the shower and washing the floor, not so much. Your favorites and worst chores are probably different than mine.

But household chores are part of keeping the home running smoothly. If we were called to be homemakers, these chores are part of the job assigned by a Good Master. We should learn to love them.

Hated Chores

Here are a few ways that I am learning to enjoy the jobs I used to hate.

Do it first, quickly:  If you really concentrate on it, few chores really take all that much time. If there’s a chore you hate, do it right away. Quickly. It’s amazing how much more enjoyable it will be.

Do it together: Whether it’s with a child, sister, friend or husband, doing a job together makes it much more fun! If you have kiddos, get them involved! Train them to help.

Listen to something: Whether it’s music, a free classic audiobook or lectures from the library, occupying your brain while your hands are busy is a great way to get a hated job done!

Eliminate the job: Yes, I know. This is supposed to be a post about learning to love chores. But, sometimes, we have control over the chores we don’t like and can trim them down or get rid of them all together. Often, it may take a bit more up front time, but will pay off quickly.

• Don’t like dusting? Pare down the knick-knacks.
  • Don’t like tidying? Simplify. Clear out the clutter: throw away, give away or sell.
  • Dont’ like multiple weekly (or monthly) grocery runs? Stock your pantry and shop less.
  • Don’t like changing diapers (or buying them?!) Potty-train your child.

If you struggle to enjoy a job, there’s often a way to cut it down and make it more manageable!

How do you conquer the chores you don’t care for?

Linked up at  Handful of Heart, Motivate Mondays, Teach Me Tuesdays, Domestically Divine Tuesdays & Titus 2sdays

Comments

Maybe we could swap doing household chores for each other…I’m not a fan of the fridge or laundry, but actually don’t mind cleaning bathrooms and while I usually steam our non-carpeted floors, I also actually like getting down on my hands and knees and giving them a good scrubbing! Great tips, as always! Have a wonderful week!!!

Everything is so much easier to do with a smile. 🙂 I kind of like scrubbing floors, but cleaning out the fridge is not my favorite. I agree, listening to something makes the chore much more enjoyable. 😀

I agree, if you hate the job then do it first and get it out of the way!! Thanks for the motivation today…I have a few things around the house I have been putting off 😉

Don’t you just love the freeing feeling once that nagging list of “things I don’t want to do” is accomplished?

Great ideas! (I’m not a fan of any chore, except laundry. Laundry is OK)

Fortunately my hubby is a great “cleaner” – he loves to tidy. We have a joke that when I’m cooking, he’ll already have put away the ingredients before I can use them!

Thank you!! I loaaathe doing dishes, since I don’t have a dishwasher. I’ve recently begun listening to videos or music while doing them.. but I’m still rarely all caught up!

I don’t have a dishwasher either. It’s definitely more work, but at least we don’t have to draw and heat the water, right? (at least, that’s what I tell myself!)

And yay for music to fill our minds while our hands our busy. 🙂

6. Jessica@MakingHomeSweeter says

These are great tips! For the chores I hate, I tend to get them over with first so that I’m not dreading them all day. I also like your ideas on eliminating aspects of chores you don’t like, like getting rid of clutter, Amen! 🙂