Muffins make a filling, frugal and healthy breakfast or snack. I’ve been keeping a stock of freezer-friendly muffins for Joshua to grab on workday mornings or for us to enjoy with a bowl of homemade yogurt.
These muffins are some of our family’s favorite—and they taste almost as good frozen and thawed as they do fresh.
The recipe makes two dozen but I usually do one dozen regular-sized (in muffin tins) and two dozen mini-muffins.
Whole Wheat Applesauce Muffins Recipe
(Makes two dozen)
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar or other sweetener (more if you want a sweet muffin!)
1 heaping Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 cup applesauce
cinnamon sugar to sprinkle on top, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two muffin tins (or line with cupcake holders!)
- Combine dry ingredients
- In separate bowl combine wet ingredients, then add to dry and mix well
- Spoon into muffin tins.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Serve warm with milk, fruit or homemade yogurt.