My Cleaning Schedule

For five years, I cleaned my home on Monday morning. It worked. After a busy weekend, I looked forward to my Monday morning cleaning routine.

Then something happened. I’m guessing it was a combo of starting kindergarten with Rose, potty training Will and adding a sweet little baby to the mix. The layers of dust stood thick and somehow Monday always seemed to slip through my fingers.

My cleaning schedule had to change.

photo by Kay Pat

I tried assigning a chore to each day, but invariably got busy every single Thursday (when I was supposed to dust) and the layers of dust got thicker.

I’ve finally found a system that works for me in this season of life.

One of the glorious things about being a home maker is getting to experiment and discover what is best for your home. But just in case you’re interested, here’s what has been working really well for me the past few months.

Divide up the non-daily chores into 6-8 approximately 20 minute tasks. (20 minutes naturally being a loose paraphrase for “45 minutes of cleaning with lots of interruptions.”) Mine are:

• Clean the bathroom
  • Vacuum van (if necessary) and dust
  • Iron at least five items
  • Clean the bathroom
  • Wash kitchen floor
  • One mini deep cleaning task (clean out fridge, wash windows, etc)
  • Iron at least five items

Each home’s cleaning needs vary. As you can see, “clean the bathroom” and “iron” are duplicated because they need to be done more often. Other things like taking out the trash and vacuuming I just do as needed (which means very often.) Dishes and laundry I do daily.

Write each task on a card and keep them somewhere handy and visible. Mine are above my kitchen sink. When the job is finished, move the chore card to the back.

Having each chore written clearly and staring me in the face, encourages me actually get it done. Washing the floor is not my favorite job and I have been known to put it off indefinitely, but this helps me just do it!

Ideally, I would do one task each weekday and and two on Saturday. It doesn’t always happen (actually, I’m not sure it’s ever happened!) Some days I do no cleaning jobs. Some days three.

At least this way the bathroom stays relatively clean, Josh isn’t scrambling Monday morning for an ironed shirt and you can’t write your name in the dust.

What’s your cleaning routine?

linked up at Proverbs 31 Thursdays and RMA Homemaking

Comments

Well, long ago, back when we were small, we cleaned house on Saturday. (That seemed to be the day you were supposed to clean. 😀 )Then, somehow, I’m not just sure how or when, it got switched to Fridays. So, now S & I clean house on Friday mornings. Everyday we do a “modified bathroom cleaning.” Wipe down the sink and stool and sweep the floor. It keeps it cleaner but we don’t have to take the time to do the whole thing more than once a week. As for ironing, we like to put in a movie or listen to an audio book while we do it, and we do it throughout the week. 🙂

Maybe it was “Little House on the Prairie”? I don’t know, but I always had a “Saturday *should* be cleaning day* mentality. It just never worked. Love the idea of listening or watching a movie while ironing. Josh has been reading to me in the evenings and sometimes I’ll get my ironing done then, though I love him reading so much I usually just want to curl up on the couch and enjoy. 🙂

This is a great plan. I’m the same way about dusting. My house NEVER gets dusted! I think I’m waiting for my daughter to get a little bigger so I can hand it off to her. Ha! I’m always looking for new cleaning ideas. Thanks for sharing yours!

Haha! Dusting was my chore growing up and I always enjoyed it. Dont’ know why it’s always so much harder to “find time” to dust my own home. Thankfully, though you certainly couldn’t run a white glove over my bookshelves, the dust is much more tamed now. 🙂

The chore card idea is such a good one, Anna! I do this for my kids but I honestly hadn’t thought of doing it for myself 🙂 Thank you for stopping by and commenting this morning, BTW. You are such an encouragement to me!

Aww, thanks Jenn. I’m loving your series! It’s so inspiring to see how God writes each of our stories so uniquely…and always seems to make the most exciting twist just when we’ve thrown our arms up, wondering what on earth is going to happen.

I loved the idea of having a cleaning day, until kids took over my house! If I waited for one day of the week to deep clean, my house would be a disaster the other 6 days!

We have basic chores that get done every day (broken out among myself and all the kids) and then focus days where something really gets extra attention. If a day is busy and the focus area doesn’t get “focused” on that day, it’s no biggie because general upkeep on each area is still being done.

I really like your idea to use the cards. That would help me with the jobs that I have assigned myself!

I love the idea of focus days.. and of getting to do chores with my kids. 🙂 They help clear the table and dry dishes and it’s so much fun working together!

For those of you who don’t like to dust, my grandma had this little saying sitting on her piano for years: “This house is protected by an every present coating of dust.” 😀 I always thought it was great. 🙂