Look Into Your Child’s Eyes

“Enjoy your kids, they’ll be grown before you know it,” has got to be the most repeated advice given to moms with young children. I can hardly walk into a store without a sweet grandma pausing to smile at the kids and remind me, “They grow up so fast!”

I believe it.

Each child added to the family seems to make the “play” speed of life a little faster. The time between Christmases feels shorter.

photo by your pic photography <3

Recently I was talking with my mother-in-law and she repeated the sage advice but added, “Make sure you take time to look into their eyes.”

Eyes are the “window of the soul” and “the light of the body.” (Matt. 6:22) Of course I look into my children’s eyes! I love them. But I’ve been consciously stopping to do so more.

• When I look into my infant’s eyes, her whole face lights up like I’d handed her the moon with a few stars thrown in.
  • When I gaze into my toddler’s eyes and smile, I don’t need to add “I love you.” He knows it and wraps his arms around me.
  • When I look into my preschooler’s eyes, life’s little vexations seem little again.

Gazing into a child’s eyes is like pushing the pause button on the fast march of time.  They grow up so quickly. Push the pause button often and gaze into their eyes.

Linked up at Proverbs 31 Thursdays, Finer Things FridayHandful of Heart and Better Mom Monday

Comments

“Each child added to the family seems to make the “play” speed of life a little faster.” Oh- this, THIS is so true. One would think the the early days of having two babies less than 11 months apart would have been the blurry, fast ones… but I look at my third. And she’s TWO. My baby. TWO. By God’s grace, I have finally learned to pause and just relish her from time to time. Love the idea of spending moments connecting our gazes with our children.

I agree completely. When I look in my baby’s eyes, she smiles and coos, and when I stare into my preschooler’s eyes, she becomes hysterical with joy. It’s showing them they are loved and valued, that I have time to do nothing more than devour them. They eat it up. Oh, if only I did that more often! Thank you for the inspiration!

3. julie says

My girls are older now 11, 12 & 14 and I’ve been noticing a version of this happening. We might be somewhere very busy and across a crowd, one of them will notice me looking at them – we truly look at one another and of course I smile at them and the smile I get back is almost like when they were babies and I would look into their eyes and smile and it was like they were saying “more, more.” It feels so good to connect, even for a moment.

This almost made me cry! Thanks for sharing. I pray that my relationship with my children is just as close when they “grow up.”

4. Michelle @ Changed By The Maker says

Oh, I just spent the morning thinking about this. All morning, by youngest boy has delighted me, his smiles, his smirks, his questions, all with those penetrating eyes! I’m so glad my boys are home with me so that I can do more of what you’re talking about–slow down time by looking right into their eyes. I don’t understand it completely, but it sure does change something when I take the time to do it!

What wonderful advice! Children notice when we look at them opposed to when we look through them. Those beautiful eyes certainly do give us precious glimpses into their little souls!

6. April says

Beautiful, well said ,but don’t stop looking into the eyes of children once past preschool, every child growing up needs the same ,elementary to adults they will always be your child and need you ♡