Be a Hairstylist

Cutting my family’s hair is one of those things I would still do if I were a millionaire.

“Hair-cutting day” formed part of the regular routine in my mom’s home. About once a month, she pulled out the hair cutting supplies. My dad and brothers never set foot in a salon.

I soon wanted in on the action, but my brothers never let me come close. Once, while a brother was in the middle of a haircut, I snuck in behind and grabbed the scissors determined to learn. Before I snipped one tuft, my brother realized it was me and cried, “Stop! I don’t want to be your guinea pig.”

I was thirteen – and devastated.

Years passed but still they obstinately refused to let me “practice” on them. My hands were untried when Joshua and I got engaged. He has seven brothers. His mom always cut their hair. You can imagine just how experienced she is. But, thankfully, he entrusted his hair to my care. (What choice did he have?!)

Obviously, cutting your family’s hair is the frugal route. A cheap men’s haircut runs $10 around here.

All you really need to do your own haircuts is a pair of scissors and comb, but a simple kit makes the task simple and produces good consistent results.

The best way to learn is obviously by watching. You could go to the salon and study the stylist, but youtube has scores of free tutorials with instructions ranging from conservative cuts to dyed Mohawks. The library is also a great resource.

I cut Joshua’s hair about every four to six weeks. That’s almost $100 saved yearly. Over the years, that adds up—especially if you have eight sons!

Even if money weren’t an issue, these reasons would keep me snipping away.

• Convenience: You are not confined to the hairstylist’s schedule. I can cut Joshua’s hair at 10:00 Saturday night or fit in a haircut right after breakfast on Monday morning.
  • Time saved: No need drive to the appointment and wait while the stylist finishes another client. Now that I know exactly what Joshua wants, it takes less than twenty minutes to cut and clean up. (And those minutes are minutes that I get to spend with my busy husband. Why would I want someone else to?!)
  • Creativity: Homemaking encompasses an array of skills. Each one is an adventure and broadens our scope of abilities. If you’re cutting a wiggly toddler’s hair, try the bath. Their hair is already wet and they are preoccupied. A sleeping baby is even easier.
  • Satisfaction: Not only the satisfaction of getting the exact style your husband wanted, but the satisfaction that comes from mastering a skill.

I don’t foresee ever giving up cutting my guy’s hair, but am not so sure about my own. I have cut my own hair twice. Once was my favorite haircut ever. The other the worst. Usually I just talk my mom into cutting it.
What about you? Do you cut your family’s hair? What about your own?

part of Thrify Thursday and Frugal Friday

photo by Flavio Takemoto

Comments

I have 7 children, I’ve regularly cut all their hair. As mine have gotten older, especially my daughters with board straight hair that show every mistake, they sometimes save up and get their hair done by a “real” stylist. Especially if they want to try a new style. But even then they usually ask me to do the touch-ups.

It’s frugal but more than that it’s like you mentioned: Time Saved!

I want to be better. I have tried and I can do my husband’s hair but the kids are a different story. I need to learn to get better. I just don’t like to do it. Maybe I will watch a few you tube videos and try again next month. Thanks for the inspiration!

3. The Prudent Homemaker says

I was so nervous to cut my husband’s hair the frist ime. He reassured me that the only difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is two weeks. He was right; the first har cut I did took about two weeks to grow out! But after that, I got better, and I’ve been doing it ever since.

I had three peoplewho cut my hair (two at their homes); 2 of the 3 were professionally trained, and they did a great job. But, when we went 8 months without income, I finally handed the scissors to my husband and asked him to cut my hair.

He did a great job! And I’ve had him cut my hair ever since.

Two weeks ago I had him cut it, and I told him to cut it shorter than I realized (he cuts where I say, and I kept telling him to angle it more). A week later, I was fixing it for church, and I tried something different. I ended up having a perfect hair day, and having the haircut I’ve wanted for 15 years; I just hadn’t realized it!

The gret thing about cutting our children’s hair, is that they’re not afraid to have it done. There are no strangers. The littlest ones can sit on dad’s lap while I cut, if need be.

No waiting for your turn at the salon, no driving there, no tipping, etc. It work great for us!

Funny you say about haircuts being the worst and best ever. I’ve given up on cutting boys’ hair with scissors- I use our electric trimmer after I horribly botched up my brother’s hair with scissors right before my sister’s wedding.

I cut my own hair the last two times I did it. My hair is long and straight, so I cut it shoulder length and layered- it was quite easy, and layering is more forgiving because it doesn’t all have to be the same length. The cut looks great!

My hubby taught me how to cut his hair when we were engaged! I’m not down to 20 minutes though 🙂 I totally agree with your reasons for cutting his hair yourself 🙂

How fun! Joshua’s mom taught me how to cut his hair while we were engaged too. It was kind of nerve-wracking. Thankfully it wasn’t *right* before the wedding. 🙂