At one time caps were a mandatory part of a nurse’s outfit. No vintage nurse outfit is complete without one. This is the simple pattern I used for Rosalind’s Red Cross Nurse dress-up outfit.
- Baste 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch around the outer edge. Gather to form a “puffy hat” the circumference of your child’s head.
- For flap: Cut out 2 semi-circular “flaps” approx 7 inches long.
- For red cross: If desired, cut out 2 thin strips of red material (approx. 1 X 2 1/2 inches), iron sides under and sew onto the right side of the outer flap.
- With right sides together, sew along the curved edge. Turn right side out. Iron.
- Iron the pointed edges back.
- For rim: Cut out a rectangle that is 1 inch longer than your child’s circumference and 2 1/2 inches wide.
- Sew right side of rim to right side of cap with the flap in between. Turn right sides out.
- Iron under 1/2 inch on the loose edge of the rim. Fold over the raw edge and slip stitch in place.