Canning jars are one of my favorite kitchen items. Not only do I love to see the pantry lined with home-canned goodies, canning jars have so many other practical uses.
11 Creative Uses for Canning Jars
- Fill with flowers. They make cute quaint vases, especially with ribbon or raffia tied around the top.
- Use as cups for little ones. They are sturdy and don’t tip over easily.
- Collect loose change. It’s amazing how quickly it adds up!
- Store smaller portions of bulk purchases like beans or barley and use them as part of your kitchen decor.
- Keep weevils or ants from infesting your pantry by storing sugar, flour, and other tempting food in glass jars.
- Fill with cookie or brownie mixes for inexpensive gifts
- Use canning jars as adorable holders for homemade candles (another wonderful gift idea!)
- Keep your favorite bulk herbs fresh by storing them in a tightly shut canning jar.
- Hold drippings from bacon, sausage, chicken, etc
- Use canning jars to store leftover soup or other liquids. Not only does the glass not leak chemicals, but you can see what’s stored and use it before it spoils.
- Store homemade herbal salves, toothpaste, and other natural products in small glass jars.
As you can see, a cupboard full of canning jars opens up the door to many practical and pretty uses.
Canning jars help prevent chemicals from leaching into your food (which might happen with plastic storage containers), protect your pantry from pest infestation, and turn homemade projects into beautiful DIY gifts.
These are just a few creative uses for canning jars. What is your favorite use for them?